Avoid Food Waste
by Barbara Loraine
The average American family wastes nearly $600 food each year.
One of the best ways to save money is to avoid wasting it.
- Plan to use the foods you buy.
Get recipes from the internet that incorporate foods you have on hand.
- Use perishables when they are fresh.
Decide to eat what you have. Change your thinking from choosing what you “feel” like having.
- Arrange your refrigerator storage so you know what foods you have.
Keep perishables in a refrigrator drawer.
- Display items that don’t require refrigeration in your kitchen.
This makes it easy to remember what’s next on the menu.
- Develop a list of recipes for “gotta use them now” foods. IE:
- Peel over-ripe bannas and freeze them for smoothies or to serve over oatmeal.
- Make a compote from apples, berries, or other fruits to serve as side dish, dessert or over pancakes.
- Make salsa from mangoes or tomatoes.