Electronic Waste Disposal
by Barbara Loraine
While we are thinking more about wasting less – and spending less, we still want the latest gizmo. We even line up around the block when the new phone or gadget hits the market.
What happens to the one we discarded? Think the dump is the end of the line? Think that if we donate it to a “recycling” place that it will be handled responsibly? Think again.
Watch this video, get informed, and get ready for a change.
- Vote with your dollars! Shop for sustainable items, instead of by price.
- Use electronics for as long as you can. Try to replace parts instead of the whole item.
- Verbalize your upset with companies that do not use sustainable methods.
- When you shop green, companies profit from doing the green thing, and get the message that they can preserve their bottom line by being responsible.
- Support legislation that puts responsibility for clean-up with the manufacturers.
- Accept the fact that manufacturers will roll the clean-up costs into the price of products.